Foreign talents in France: The Talent Passport

What status, what visa is required for young foreign nationals, who after studying in France, would like to work or start a business here? How can the administrative red tape be reduced for foreign nationals with high potential who would like to work in France, especially those wanting to start a business?

Employees of big companies but also research scientists and artistic and cultural professions are eligible for this “Talent Passport”, which also serves as a residence permit that is valid up to four years. As a result, administrative procedures these foreign nationals have to do in France will be reduced.

The Prefectures will set up special contact points for these people to shorten the time it takes to issue the permits and provide a personalized service.
Spouses may also have a “Talent Passport” and enter France at the same time. They will also therefore have the right to work. For certain categories of foreign nationals, including scientists, this clarification is important (because researchers did not have the same type of residence permit as their families).

Lastly, talents with salaried employment will not be required to have a work permit to carry out their employment.
• The following people are eligible:
-  Business founders with an equivalent to a master’s degree;
-  Foreign nationals with at least an equivalent to a master’s degree and hired by an innovative start-up;
-  Foreign nationals wishing to invest in France (for a minimum amount of €300,000).

It is important to point out that this “Talent Passport” provides more protection for holders: If they lose their job, they will be able to stay for the period during which they benefit from unemployment subsidies.
• Lastly, it is easier for foreign students to obtain a residence permit:
o The “Talent Passport” list of highly qualified degrees for students includes advanced technical degrees, specialized master’s degrees and Masters of Science from the Conférence des Grandes Ecoles.

o In addition, the 2016 legislation facilitates the issuance of a temporary residence permit to foreign students after they have finished their studies, at the same levels in terms of degree (master’s or equivalent), if they find a job (related to their academic curriculum) or start a business. It is not possible to use the employment situation in France as an excuse to refuse. It is a strong signal sent to foreign students who have made the choice to study in France.

More information here:

Word - 28.6 kb
(Word - 28.6 kb)

publie le 28/05/2018

top of the page