Interministerial Tourism Council (26 July 2017) [fr]
With 83 million international tourists hosted in 2016, France is the world’s leading tourist destination.
As a whole, the tourism sector accounts for nearly 8% of France’s GDP and 2 million direct and indirect jobs.
The ambition of the French Government is to consolidate France’s position in first place by increasing the number of international tourists in France to 100 million by 2020. It is hoped that this objective is accompanied by an increase in the average length of the stay of international tourists in France.
On this occasion, the Prime Minister will present the Government’s roadmap for tourism and concrete measures in six priority areas:
- The quality of the welcome and the security of the sites constitute essential factors of the satisfaction and loyalty of tourists;
- The organization of tourism offer to attract a growing number of international tourists;
- State support in terms of investment, a fundamental component of the Government’s strategy;
- Training and employment, key areas of quality of service;
- Support for the digitization and sharing of information to enhance the competitiveness of the sector;
- Access to holidays for the greatest number of people.
Source: France Diplomatie