Toulouse, a UEFA Euro 2016 host city
It is the traditional local pink brick used in its buildings which has given this city in south-west France its nickname – “la Ville Rose”. In the summer of 2016, Europe’s aviation and space capital invites its visitors to admire the stars... of European football!
© Ville de Toulouse - Cardete & Huet
Stadium de Toulouse – capacity: 33,000
- 1st round: Spain v Czech Republic 13/06/2016.
- 2nd round: Italy v Sweden 17/06/2016.
- 3rd round: Russia v Wales 20/06/2016.
- Round of 16: 26/06/2016.
Toulouse’s municipal stadium, fully renovated by the architects Cardete & Huet, is situated on the Île du Ramier close to the city centre.
Address: Ile du Ramier, 1bis allée Gabriel Biénès - 31028 Toulouse
Getting to the stadium by public transport
- From Matabiau train station, metro line A to “Jean Jaurès” station, then line B
- Metro line B, to “Empalot” or “Saint-Michel – Marcel-Langer” stations
- Tram: line T1 to “Ile du Ramier”
Toulouse is a city of contrasts with an exceptional heritage that offers the visitor plenty of pleasant surprises such as mansions from the Renaissance period which was the golden age of the town. The city also hosts an amazing blend of brick and stone buildings and a rich collection of museums built within historical monuments or on former industrial sites. From place to place, along streets and monuments, “la ville rose” meets history and reveals all its charms. At night, the city enlightens and Toulouse takes on a new face: the facades, the monuments and the river become the main characters of Toulouse’s magical evenings.
© Ville de Toulouse
Unique monuments and museums
- Capitole: this imposing building, which was completed in the 18th century, is home to both the Town Hall and the Capitole Theatre.
- Saint-Sernin Basilica: listed as a World Heritage Site (on the way of Saint James), this monument is considered one of the biggest romanesque basilicas in the West.
- Jacobins Monastic Ensemble: founded in the 13th and 14th centuries by the Dominican Order, this set of buildings is a jewel of meridional Gothic art.
- Canal du Midi : Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Canal du Midi runs from Toulouse to the Mediterranean Sea.
- Private mansions : during the Renaissance, the city, enriched by the woad trade, saw a blossoming of sumptuous homes. Later on, the classic era was to make a lasting mark on the mansions spread throughout the city.
- Cité de l’Espace and Airbus industry.
- A Set of Fine Museums : the Augustins fine arts muséum, the Natural History Museum, the Abattoirs Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art…
© Manuel Huynh
- Fête de la violette de Toulouse (violet celebration days) – February
- Toulouse into the ring (circus) - May
- ¡Río Loco! (world music festival) - June
- Les Siestes électroniques (electronic music) - June
- Tangopostale, Argentinean tango international festival - July
- Toulouse beaches - July-August
- Toulouse d’été (concerts) - July-August
- Piano at the Jacobins - September
- Le Printemps de Septembre (arts) – September/October
- Toulouse the Organs - October
La Novela (arts et sciences festival) - October
- Jazz sur son 31 Toulouse jazz festival - October
- Christmas market - December
© José Manuel Herrador
Toulouse way of life
Enjoying the Midi Toulousain means taking the time to live. Stroll through the bustling streets for a shopping trip, stroll through the market with its various flavours and colours or just linger at an outdoor café... Here, the atmosphere shows the personality of the southern people: authentic, friendly and popular. Toulouse also has a real knowledge when it comes to welcoming visitors and offering them good opportunities to gather around a table and to enjoy the local products (foie gras, fillet of duck, sausage, cassoulet of Toulouse, wines and cheeses...).
Book your stay
Make a reservation for your next stay in Toulouse. A discovery week-end along the Canal du Midi, a cultural heritage week-end, an exploration of “Cité de l’espace” theme park or a week-end only dedicated to relaxation and well being. Just pick one of these “à la carte week-ends” among our various stay proposals. It will be the perfect opportunity for you to enjoy a fortunate time while in Toulouse, a city renowned for its good way of life
Source: Atout France (France.fr)